Parent consultation & coaching
Sometimes a problem isn’t serious enough to need therapy, or maybe you’re not sure whether or not professional help is warranted. I offer pay-as-you-go consultation sessions during which you can discuss your concerns and I can give some input and make recommendations. Examples of recommendations include specific advice about managing the problem, suggestions for a different approach to the problem, the use of other resources such as books or community workshops, bringing the child or teen in, and/or doing a family session.
- Individual, private sessions scheduled for 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
- Brief follow-up sessions by phone or Skype available in 15 or 30 minute blocks.
- Joint parent / child sessions, or parent / teen sessions scheduled for 45 or 60 minutes.
Examples of problems or issues suitable for parent consultation:
- managing aggressive behavior in young children
- establishing limits/follow through
- dealing with a child or teen’s disrespectful attitude
- unpleasant family climate (yelling, sarcasm, excessive sibling rivalry)
- distinguishing between “typical teenage behavior” and “real” problems
- Is it ADD or is my kid just being irresponsible?”
- poor or very little communication between parent and teenager
- difficulty getting child or teen to take responsibility for choices made
- child or teenager’s insensitivity to the impact of his/her choices on others
- single parent feeling bullied or intimidated by an older teen